Saturday, October 25, 2008

I Survived My First Heavy Metal Show

Last night, Joey and I went to see his favorite metal band, Opeth at Lincoln Theater. Joey had introduced me to their music back in January when we met. They are much harder than let's say, Metallica and much more musically talented. I can understand and appreciate their musical talent.
So, as a concert goer and never having been to a true metal show, I was slightly nervous. Mob pits, body surfing, just people being stupid. Luckily, the way that the theater is set up, there is an upstairs where people who don't want to be injured can enjoy the show...that's where Joey and I were. Baroness was the first opening band and I enjoyed them a lot. They were more instrumental than demonic screaming. High on Fire came on next. Much too much screaming for my enjoyment but the crowd was into it.
Now let me take a moment and describe this crowd. Actually let me take you back to 1993 when I met Ken and had my first exposure to a true hard rock/metal fan. Ken has the long hair, "rough" look to him. Most of the crowd were male...a lot of unshaved men. I don't think that I had seen so many beards, and long beards at that, in one spot. I have to admit, I did have some redneck comments running through my head. And they ranged in age from under 21 to 40's. From my vantage point, I think that I spent about half the show watching waves of people as they were being pushed about. Every once in a while a mob pit would open up-wonder how those guys are feeling this morning. At times, it looked like people were going to fight. You know, the non mob pit participants vs the mob pit idiots. There were some people body surfing. More women than men which I was a little surprised at. No one was dropped on their heads which it looked like it would happen soon. Idiots.
Anyway, Opeth, after a very long technical set-up (mikes weren't working), came on. I have to say, I was impressed. I had recognized most of the songs that were played thanks to Joey. The skills that these men have...quite amazing. To play as fast as they do, it's not an easy task.
So with that, I survived and off to my regular life.

No comments: