Saturday, May 13, 2006

My Birthday Review

I thought that I would not only expand my review of Live but my birthday overall. First, I want to thank Scott again for taking the day off and spending it with me. Second, thanks to the soon to be ex-husband for not contacting me on my day and for going back to court. Now for the review....
Scott and I started it all off lazily and took our time before we headed out to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. We went to the gardens so I could smell the lilacs-my favorite flower. We spent some time in the gardens reflecting on us, our pasts, and looked to our future. It started sprinkle so instead of chancing the rain at the Brooklyn Zoo, we headed for home to relax before we headed out to dinner. At 4, we went to the subway and headed to Hell's Kitchen. We ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant called Arriba, Arriba! The food was decent-not as good as Don's or Boom Boom's (the Great New York State Fair) but decent enough. The wait staff, all good looking gay men, were attentive. The strawberry colada was too strong. The artwork a little graphic. The company definitely the best. After dinner, we headed to the Nokia Theater in Times Square to go see Live. I was a little surprised that the doors were already opened at 6:15 but hey, we went in, bought our tour t-shirts, grabbed our seats and listened to the cued up music. We were wondering why some of the artists like Tool and some other harder rock groups, were being played since neither one of us considers Live to be that hard rock. By the end of the first song performed by Live, we both understood. At 8pm, Michael Shapiro started things off. And as for opening acts that I've seen, he wasn't the worst and wasn't the best. I kept thinking New York City is a hard place to play for especially when he kept begging people to applaud him. Luckily, after the standard 45 minutes, he left the stage and everyone waited for Live to come on stage. At about 9:25pm, Live was there. Live was rocking. I felt that they played a good assortment of their songs from their albums except for V. They certainly played all of my favorites. I had been wanting them to play a few certain songs and every time I mentioned one of them to Scott, Ed and the boys would then be playing it in a couple of songs later. This was certainly true with Shit Towne. I'm still on a slight high from the show with different songs in my head but definitely more on the downside from the overall high of my 30th birthday. Overall, Live was totally awesome and I cannot wait until their album comes out AND they return to the Big Apple. As Scott and I were heading home with about 30 minutes left of my day, I stated that I don't know how any other birthday will be able to surpass my 30th. So next year, I get a chocolate cupcake (please not Hostess) with a candle.
Of course, I'm still trying to have my birthday last a little bit longer. Friday, I received my presents from my parents. Tuesday, Scott and I are going to see Tarzan. I still haven't received my present(s) from my brother.
So again thanks to Scott for helping me turn 30 and spending the best birthday with me.

No comments: