Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Damned Strike

As of 3am today, the union for the transit workers had decided to go on strike since there was no agreement to a contract at midnight. Now the last strike was 25 years ago. I was only 4 and living in my own little world up in Ontario, NY. Now I'm faced with the same crap as those people were. Unfortunately for me, it's December and with a 10 degree windchill. The last strike was in April. My job involved me going around Manhattan doing home visits. Looks like I'm doing my visits and not going to the office. Hopefully this strike will not last long and certainly be over by Friday morning when Scott and I leave to go my parents.
Now for the politics. The union is asking for raises and better pension, health benefits, etc for their new members. All of it understandable. All of it warranted. Should the MTA provide most if not all of their requests? Yes, within reason. The latest deal consists of a 3, 4, 3.5 % raises for the next 3 years and willingness to compromise on the other benefits which was much better than what was being offered last Friday when the first strike was threatened.

No comments: