Saturday, June 03, 2006

Trying to recapture my college days

As I've stated several times, Scott likes to play games. Luckily, so do I and one of the ones that I've missed playing is the classic Dungeons and Dragons. I used to play this in college with my then boyfriend Mike, and our friends, Ben, Heather, sometimes Nick, and the Dungeon Master, Dan. Dan set us up on several great missions-one year was based on what we had to read during our senior year-The Iliad. We played for 2 years-the first year I was Bob. I forgot exactly what type of character Bob was but the following year, I was Bobina-the great great great granddaughter of Bob. She was a vampress. Probably the biggest surprise, at least for Dan, was we were facing a giant and I said that Bobina was going to have sex with it. Even better, I survived. I had to roll a 19 or a 20 on a 20-sided die. So now, Scott knows about my memories about playing D & D so he wanted to get a game that would be reminiscent for me of D & D. We purchased a game called Runebound this week and are in the middle of playing it now. I enjoy it and it does have a similar feel to D & D where you are faced with adventures. What's missing for me is the atmosphere of which I played it in and I know that I'll never get that back with Mike, Ben, Heather and Dan being so far apart and some of us not speaking with each other. So here's to the memories.

5 comments:

silentdibs said...

Correction Officer here -- the game's name is Runebound. BTW, grats on kicking all of that Dragon ass. I'm humbled and impressed. My girlfriend, the dragonslayer!

Oliver Oberdorf said...

Is it a competitive game or coop?

I've been trying for that D&D feel via MMOs for a while. Same theme and plenty of cooperative play - but you find yourself running through the same "adventure" many times. Lots of other things I'm not so keen on, but better not or this'll be a book.

I keep thinking of checking out neverwinter nights' online community again.

ollie1976 said...

You're kinda on your own with the adventures. You can fight the other person if you end up on the same spot. Scott and I feel that the adventures will get boring after a few more times. We played again last night and he won. I haven't done any roleplaying games online. My only experience with D & D is in college with my friends.

silentdibs said...

Yes, Runebound is mostly multi-solitaire. There are actually quite a few board games in this genre now, some of which are co-op. They range from cheap card games to full-on $80 monstrosities with miniatures and the works.

Here's a list of games we collected as suggestions when we were hunting for cheap D&D thrills:
best 2P dungeon crawl

Oliver Oberdorf said...

Ah, Advanced Heroquest - I think that was the most tempting I saw there. Dungeon crawl with a very classic D&D feel to it.

Though at 1-2 people, you'd want to drive more than one character I think. Still, that's a very good game.