Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Mass Transit

For those of you who do not reside in the Big Apple may or may not have heard of the term "straphangers" used while dealing with subways. Well, come to NYC and ride the subway or bus during morning or evening rush hour and you will come to know the term intimately, along with your fellow passengers. Take this morning for example. I arranged my schedule so I could spend some extra time with Scott and took the crowded express train. Well, first let me tell you that the first express train didn't even stop at the station. Grrrr. Well I get on the train and there are a bunch of private high school male students standing in the doorway-gotta love it. At least these were aware that they were standing in the way and attempted to move for people to get on board. So here I am standing on a crowded train holding a pole with about 6 other people. Forget about holding my backpack on my back! Needless to say I never got a seat as I travelled into Manhattan (8 stops). I do my home visits (very emotionally might I add) and then jump on the crosstown bus after stopping to get litter for the royal family. Luckily this bus was not as crowded as it usually is. Also it wasn't running late-another amazing feat for this bus line. I jump on the train to head up to my office and it's crowded. I still managed to find a seat that was far enough away from my fellow passengers but about 2 stops from my office-I'm squashed in. And by guys no less. Sorry guys but none of you have penises that big that you must spread your legs sooooo wide so that the women next to you can't even breathe. Why do guys feel they need to do this? Why can't they keep their legs together just like the women do? Must be that Y-chromosome again. Anyway, I get off the train and then I'm stuck behind these slow ass people on the platform and stairs. I guess they don't realize that there are people behind them and what's worse, is that they stop. Stop right in the way of other people behind them. I don't get it. If you're going to stop, move to the side and stop. Don't stop right in the middle of the way. Grrr! I'm just reminded of why I get up so early in the morning and go into work at stupid time.

No comments: