Friday, November 25, 2005

Thanksgiving

I did end up going to Scott's family's for Thanksgiving after crying, talking, cursing at Grand Central Station. At the moment, I was hating Scott for forcing me to stay and talk or threatening to come home with me to hash the issues out. In hindsight, I'm glad that he did. It certainly has made us more aware of each other and has brought us closer. It also made us commit to each other more than we already were.
On the train to CT, I gave Scott his birthday presents, which he seemed to like and probably can't wait to play. We made it Milford, CT at around 8:30pm and met up with his dad, who took us out to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. During dinner, Christmas traditions were discussed. This year, Scott is coming with me to celebrate Christmas at my parents' home. This will also be the first year that Scott will not be in CT for Christmas. His father was understandable upset and at the same time I feel so guilty that I'm "taking" Scott away from his family. I know that I'm not and that Scott is making that choice all on his own about coming up to celebrate Christmas with my family.
After dinner, we went to his mother's home and talked for a little bit and then we all crashed! Thanksgiving Day was....interesting to say the least. I met Scott's brother, Eric and his stepbrother, Dave (his family) and stepsister, Deborah (and her boyfriend) for dinner. Eric is nice....very very nice and funny in saying goodbye to me. During the course of dinner, I was involved in a discussion with Dave, his wife, Jen (another Jen and another SW) and Deborah about Dave and Jen's son Dakota and his learning disability. Dave and Jen seem to have been trying to find all the avenues to help their 7-year old sweet son but are not having any luck. After that discussion, certain family dirty laundry history came out. This conversation made several people uncomfortable and I kept thinking was "okay, another dysfunctional family and that's fine." I didn't really feel too uncomfortable which I'm still surprised with that. I felt bad for Dave, Jr. and Scott's mother because it was obvious that Dave has lots of issues that he has tried to deal with and Jan just couldn't understand where this conversation was coming from. Scott mostly sat there quiet. I wonder what his thoughts were. By the end of the discussion, things seemed to be a little bit better. Dave, Jr threw me for a surprise when he started saying how much he enjoys talking with me and that I'm lovable and Scott's a lucky guy. I told Dave to tell Scott that and he did about 10 minutes later. Scott just gave me that I know it smile/grin of his. So I guess I'm in with the family!!!!! :-)
Right before dessert, Scott's sister, Lisa came with her family. Her son Benjamin, almost cried everytime he saw Scott and his hairy face. I started feeling bad for him and ended up telling him at some point that our kids won't do that to him since they will be used to it. Scott's brother, Mark and his wife Heather also came for dessert. I didn't really get a chance to talk with them but they both seem nice and I was happy to see that Heather isn't how she comes off.
Dessert went off without a hitch. We celebrated Dave, Sr and Scott's birthdays and Dave and Jan's anniversary. Scott got his dreampie and the chocolate, peanut butter, oatmeal cookies went off better than I expected. I'm craving one right now as I type this. Hmmm maybe I should make some more!
So now, I'm home with royal family trying to figure out where the cold draft is coming from.

No comments: